3 Top Self-Care Tips for Birth Fathers during the Adoption Process
In a world full of uncertainty, it seems that the adoption process may be stressing your child’s birth father out a little bit. He may have feelings that have risen inside of him, such as stress and anxiety. We understand that he may be overwhelmed about the adoption process and what comes with it. However, we think that it is important to consider the mental health and wellbeing of your child’s birth father, in addition to yourself.
For many birth fathers, the adoption process can be very nerve-wracking to think about, but Adoption Choices of Kansas is here to help. Today, we want to present some good self-care tips for birth fathers, so that he can have a smoother adoption journey, from the very beginning of the adoption process, all the way to the end.
Self-Care Tips for Birth Fathers
- Explore with nature. Since Summer is right around the corner, now is the best chance to spend some time outside! If you are with your child’s birth father, something that you could do together is spend some time in nature. You can try nature-based activities together, such as hiking and bird watching. You can also do some fun activities related specifically to nature, such as rock painting. If you two live near a nature park, it does not hurt to visit a nearby one and plan something fun together!
This time of year is perfect to get out outside, and spending time in nature is one of the best ways to relieve stress! If your child’s birth father doesn’t feel like going to a nature park, you two could always take a nice walk around your neighborhood. Perhaps, you and your child’s birth father are no longer together, but he is still stressed and you want to help him out as much as possible. These ideas are great to suggest to him, as they can help him use some time to partake in nature-based activities, such as the ones above. He could also spend time by just sitting outside or doing another fun activity, such as boating, if he lives near a lake.
We understand how stressful the adoption process can be, but remember that we are always here to help. Call Us 877-903-4488 or Text Us 316-209-2071. Nature is something that not many people take advantage of, yet it could be one of the best possible ways to relieve stress regarding the adoption process.
- Try meditation. Meditation is another excellent way to relieve stress, especially if he is looking for a fast and simple way to do so. Meditations can be guided or self-guided. Guided meditations can be found on websites such as YouTube, and you can use Google to help you find effective ways to begin self-meditating. Most meditations are only five to ten minutes long and work for many people.
The key thing to remember with meditations, however, is that they are meant to relieve stress for a short period of time and help you enter a situation more calmly. Your child’s birth father may think that this idea is a little bit different, but we promise that it works. Furthermore, meditations can be a great way to relieve stress immediately, and it only takes a little voice inside of his head and a quiet place to sit to get started. We have a link to a ten minute meditation listed below for a guided meditation, if your partner is interested.
- Try exercising. Even though most gyms are closed right now, exercising is a third way to relieve stress throughout the adoption process. There are plenty of home workouts that can be found on YouTube, and a lot more space can be used in the house than you and your child’s birth father may have previously believed. For example, do you have some empty space in your house? Your child’s birth father could try exercises like sit ups and push ups. He could also try running in place. Do you have a television? Have him turn it on, flip to his favorite station and get moving!
Just like meditations, workouts can be both self-guided or guided by a professional. Best of all, workouts can be done whatever way is necessary, and you can exercise any part of your body that you wish. (We linked a ten minute full body workout below). Whatever his fancy, your child’s birth father will be sure to use exercising as a means to reduce anxiety throughout the adoption process.
Self-Care during the Adoption Process
Self-care is extremely important in the adoption process, especially when managing stress and anxiety. Although there are a countless number of other examples — such as watching television or taking a drive — the suggestions above are typically much more effective and perfect for the current time of year.
No matter how far along you and your child’s birth father are in the adoption process, self-care is important. All humans need to practice self-care, and there is no shame in observing it, no matter what your mental health level may be. Your child’s birth father may resist at first, but we can guarantee that he will enjoy practicing self-care. He could perhaps make it a habit!
Adoption is stressful for all involved, and this by no means excludes your child’s birth father. We hope that these self-care tips have helped to inform you of how to motivate both him and yourself during the adoption process.
Adoption Choices of Kansas serves birth parents statewide and beyond, please call us or text us to learn more!
Call Us 877-903-4488 or Text Us 316-209-2071
Meet the Author: Jason Legasse is a rising senior English major studying at Siena College in Loudonville, New York. He hails from the Albany, New York area, but has plans to relocate to sunny Venice, Florida with his mom come Fall. After completing his bachelor’s degree, Jason plans to study General Special Education at Meredith College, where he will earn a Master’s degree and use that to teach middle school Special Education.
Jason is a self-proclaimed introvert with Asperger’s who really enjoys writing. He has a huge passion for helping others, specifically those with disabilities. He is very excited to be working with Adoption Choices over the summer, and looks forward to learning more about the adoption process!
- https://youtu.be/O-6f5wQXSu8 (10 minute guided meditation for anxiety)
- https://youtu.be/6VFLKdfxA24 (10 minute full body workout)
- https://youtu.be/OD_v8zg26VU (How to paint rocks)