Birth Parents Call or Text 316-391-4904
Para español 888-222-8702
Adoptive Parents Call 877-903-4488
Or Contact Us Here
Serving Expectant Parents Statewide With Offices located in:
Wichita | Kansas City

Can a Child Be Put Up for Adoption Without the Birth Father’s Consent?

Many expectant mothers contact Adoption Choices of Kansas with questions about their baby’s birth father and the impact he might have on their adoption plan. Here, find answers to common questions about adoption when the birth father is unknown, unsupportive, or otherwise uninvolved in the adoption or if you need to proceed with the adoption without the birth father’s consent, as well as ways to include a supportive birth father in the adoption process.

Can I give my child up for adoption without the birth father’s consent?

There are a variety of situations that may cause you to wonder whether it is possible to proceed with adoption without father consent: the father may not agree with your adoption decision, he may be in and out of your life sporadically, or you may not know who or where the birth father is.

In these situations, Adoption Choices of Kansas will advise you whether you must notify the biological father of your adoption plan. If his consent is necessary for the adoption to proceed, we can then assist you in locating him and work with him to sign the legal adoption paperwork. In some contested adoption cases, his rights may be terminated by the court, and you may be able to proceed with adoption without consent of the father. However, this varies on a case-by-case basis.

If you and the biological father are not in full agreement about your adoption plan, or if you have questions about an unknown father and adoption, it is important to work closely with an experienced adoption attorney. We can help you understand your options for moving forward with legal adoption without the father’s consent.

How can my baby’s father be involved in the adoption process?

If your baby’s father supports your adoption decision, he can be involved in your adoption plan. Adoption Choices of Kansas will explain his rights and role in the adoption process and work with him to obtain his voluntary consent to the adoption. In addition, you may choose to involve him in the adoption process in a number of ways:

  • Consider the types of adoption situations he is interested in and ask him to help you review adoptive family profiles
  • Invite him to get to know the adoptive parents before placement
  • Ask him to come to the hospital with you when the baby is born
  • Offer him the option to stay in touch with the adoptive family after placement

Some women are nervous about explaining their adoption decision to their baby’s birth father. Adoption Choices of Kansas can advise you as you tell your baby’s father about your adoption plan and help you prepare for those conversations. We can also provide him with additional adoption information to help him feel more comfortable with the process.

Whether your baby’s father is supportive, unsupportive, unknown, or uninvolved, we can provide the information and guidance you need to understand his rights in the Kansas adoption process. To learn whether adoption without consent may be possible in your circumstances, contact Adoption Choices of Kansas for free, no-obligation adoption information.

If you need adoption help now, please call us at 877-903-4488, text us at 316-209-2071, or visit us at Adoption Choices of Kansas.

Adoption Choices of Kansas serves birth parents statewide and beyond, please call us or text us to learn more!
Call Us 877-903-4488 or Text Us 316-209-2071

Contact Us 24/7