Can I Have a Family After Placing A Child for Adoption?
Yes, having a family after you placing a child for adoption is completely okay and completely normal. Often women who have an unplanned pregnancy and choose adoption are in a situation where they feel they are unable to parent a child. Months and more likely, years later, when life feels more stable, she can absolutely decide to have another baby. Adoption Choices of Kansas wants you to understand that adoption is a wonderful experience that changes lives. It doesn’t put an end to a future family. A woman has every right to place a baby up for adoption AND/OR parent a baby – and there are no rules to the timeline.
Why Do Women Choose Adoption?
Every woman, every couple has their own unique and valid reasons for choosing adoption. Some of the many different reasons people decide to place a child for adoption include:
- They just don’t want to be a parent right now.
- They can’t afford to raise a child.
- They don’t want to be a single parent.
- They want to be the best parent possible to the kids they already have.
- It’s not a good time in their life to have and raise a child.
- They want to finish school, focus on work, or achieve other goals before parenting a child.
- They’re not in a relationship with someone they want to parent a child with.
- They believe adoption is the best chance for their child to be well-cared for.
- They’re in an abusive relationship or were sexually assaulted.
- They’re in a difficult situation like homelessness, addiction, or serving prison time.
From just not being ready to financially or emotionally not being able to, women choose adoption for a multitude of reasons. And every single one of them is okay. It’s really normal to have a lot of different feelings after placing your child for adoption. Lots of people who choose adoption are happy knowing that their child is living with a family who loves and cares for them. They may feel empowered as birth parents, because the decision they made helped give their child a good life.
Choosing Adoption When you Already Have Kids
Many birth mothers go through the adoption process even when they already have children. Perhaps they can’t afford to raise another child or maybe she’s older and doesn’t want to raise another child. Unplanned pregnancies account for more than half of all pregnancies in the U.S. The choice is up to the woman what to do with the pregnancy. She can choose to parent, choose to terminate the pregnancy, or she can choose adoption. For a woman who doesn’t want to raise a child, another child, or not ready to be a parent yet, adoption is a healthy, loving pregnancy option.
Benefits of Placing a Child for Adoption for the Birth Mother
Adoption offers many benefits for the birth mother, including:
- Allowing her to plan for the baby’s future by choosing the adoptive parent(s) for the baby.
- Experiencing the impact she has on adoptive parent(s), enabling them to be parents and share in their joy.
- Reducing the financial stress of supporting another dependent, assistance with medical, counseling, and other expenses.
- The possibility of being somehow involved in the child’s life as they grow based on agreements with the adoptive parent(s) through open adoption.
- Giving the birth mother the peace of mind that their child is being properly cared for.
Having a Family After Placing Your Child for Adoption in Kansas
Whether it’s a few months after placing a baby for adoption or a few years – there is life after adoption and having a family is a possibility. Private adoption in Kansas is an option with our licensed adoption agency. We have met many birth mothers who placed a baby and even a second baby and still went on to have her own family with children. We’ve also served women who already have children and choosing adoption was the best choice for her unplanned pregnancy. Adoption Choices of Kansas serves birth parents statewide and beyond, please call us or text us to learn more! Call Us 877-903-4488 or Text Us 316-209-2071