Birth Parents Call or Text 316-391-4904
Para español 888-222-8702
Adoptive Parents Call 877-903-4488
Or Contact Us Here
Serving Expectant Parents Statewide With Offices located in:
Wichita | Kansas City

If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy and deciding what to do next, this article is for you if:
You want to continue with the pregnancy.

What should I do now?

If you decide to continue with the pregnancy, you’ll be able to get prenatal care (care during pregnancy), whether you’re planning to be a parent or choose adoption. To start your care, you can visit your GYN/OB or register with one.

As part of your prenatal care, the doctor or midwife can talk to you about:

  • healthy eating and exercise
  • taking folic acid and vitamin D
  • stopping smoking
  • cutting out, or down on, alcohol
  • stopping recreational drug use
  • whether any medicines you’re taking are unsafe during pregnancy
  • getting advice and tests for sexually transmitted infections

If you have a medical condition, such as epilepsy or diabetes, talk to your doctor or midwife as soon as possible because you may need special care. If you’re taking medication, it’s important that you continue to take this and seek advice from a doctor or nurse as soon as possible.

Extra help after the birth

You may worry that you won’t be able to look after a baby. Knowing what help might be available may help you make a decision about your pregnancy.

Here are some of the ways you may be able to get help.

  • Your partner, family, and friends. Think about who might be able to help you once the baby is born. If people you trust can help with things such as doing the shopping or looking after the baby, it can be a great support, and enable you to have some time to yourself.
  • Your midwife or health visitor can offer advice and support, and put you in touch with local groups where you can meet other parents or get the support you need.
  • Social services at your local authority can assess whether you might need extra support. They may be able to provide services such as nursery or day care, or a support worker who can come to your home.
Contact Us 24/7