I Am Pregnant, What Do I Do Now?
Becoming pregnant unexpectedly can be terrifying, and that’s okay. Unfortunately, many women of different ages and backgrounds become unexpectedly pregnant every single year. So while you may be freaking out right now, hopefully, you can take some solace in the fact that you are far from alone. Unplanned pregnancies are common, and because of this, expectant mothers do have options at their disposal. So now that you’ve taken a breather and settled into your circumstances, where do you go now?
Adoption Choices of Kansas is a local adoption agency that understands unplanned pregnancies’ complexity. We know that finding out you’re pregnant out of seemingly nowhere can be a great shock and even feel earth-shattering in some cases. We want you to know that all your feelings are legitimate and that we are here to help.
Take The Necessary Steps With Your Unplanned Pregnancy
We understand that having an unplanned pregnancy is scary and that your thoughts often become scattered. Here at Adoption Choices of Kansas, we want to ease your anxieties by giving you a few actionable steps that you can take in order to move forward in this difficult time. Some steps you should consider after learning the news of your pregnancy are:
- Contact Your Doctor: You may be wondering why you should bother seeing a doctor after finding out you’re pregnant, especially if you’re more focused on what actually to do with the baby. That being said, seeing your doctor can be a great way to get your footing so that you can make smart decisions about your pregnancy. For instance, your doctor will figure out how far you are into your pregnancy, which will, in turn, give you an idea of what your timeline looks like.
- Quit Bad Habits: Even if you don’t plan on keeping your child, it is important to make a concerted effort to quit any bad habits you may have. Whether this be smoking, drinking, or using drugs, all are obviously harmful to your child. Until you make your decision about what to do with your child, it would be best to ensure you maintain the health of the fetus.
- Take Care of Yourself: This goes along with quitting bad habits to some degree. Staying fit, eating right, and just generally prioritizing your health is always a great choice, but it can become even more essential once you become pregnant. Staying healthy can only help your pregnancy go as smoothly as possible.
Understand Your Unplanned Pregnancy Options
As I’m sure you know, there are three options when finding out you’re pregnant: keeping your child, placing your child up for adoption, and terminating the pregnancy. Each option has its merits, so ultimately, it is up to you to decide which option is best for you. However, as always, you should do your best to understand each option fully.
- Parent Your Child: This is perhaps the first and most obvious option that comes to mind for many expectant mothers. Raising a child is a very involved process, and sometimes an expectant mother’s circumstances may dictate how practical it is for them to raise their child themselves. So ask yourself: Can I support a child, monetarily and emotionally? Do I want to be a mother? Will my child be safe with me? Asking yourself these questions and more is essential before making your decision.
- Placing Your Child Up For Adoption: If you decide that raising your child yourself is not the best option for you, then adoption may be a great decision. Sometimes birth mothers have a conception of adoption as a detached and selfish process, which deters them from considering adoption. However, choosing to put a child up for adoption is nothing short of selfless. It takes great honesty with yourself to be able to decide that your child may have a better life with another family.
- Terminating The Pregnancy: Terminating the pregnancy is another viable option for expectant mothers that have decided both raising their child or choosing adoption is not right for them. When considering terminating the pregnancy, it is important to do thorough research about the procedure and the specifics of performing the procedure in your state. Rules and regulations tend to vary state-to-state, so being informed makes all the difference.
You Do Have Resources When You Choose Adoption Choices of Kansas
While Adoption Choices of Kansas is a local adoption agency, we do not aim to persuade you into choosing adoption. Our team of seasoned professionals simply wants to work with you to ensure you have all the information you may need to feel equipped when you make a choice. We can assist you by providing you with an adoption specialist who can inform you about the financial, housing, and logistic support that Adoption Choices of Kansas can provide. We believe that in a trying time such as the one you may be currently experiencing, it is best to take care of yourself and surround yourself with people who can and will help you.
Choosing adoption is not giving up. If you need unplanned pregnancy help now, Adoption Choices of Kansas serves birth parents statewide and beyond. We can help with teen pregnancy, financial assistance, difficult situations, and more. Please call us or text us to learn more! Call Us 877-903-4488 or Text Us 316-209-2071
Meet the author: David T. Garcia is currently a student at Syracuse University working towards his degree in English with a concentration in film. He is a resident of Northern New Jersey and spends much of his time in New York City, whether it be for business or pleasure. David is looking forward to graduation so he can begin his life and pursue his ambitions. He has dreams of moving out to New York City and working as a young professional in the content writing space while also working on his own screenplays. In his free time, David enjoys spending time with family as well as watching movies and reading books. He has a passion for travel and looks forward to new experiences.