Myths Associated with Interracial Adoption that Need to Go!
Deciding on interracial adoption may seem intimidating or scary. We at Adoption Choices of Kansas want to assure you that you make all the decisions like any other adoption process. We help provide resources and explain step by step. Interracial adoption is when you place your child of one racial or ethnic background with an adoptive family that has a different racial or ethnic background. Our local adoption agencies in Kansas can help you get started on your adoption today.
KS Local Interracial Adoption Myths
You may have heard local adoption myths about interracial adoption. Many of these myths include but are not limited to:
- A child from another race won’t be loved
- A white family can’t raise a multiracial or African-American baby
- An African-American family or multiracial family cannot raise a white baby
- A child of another religion won’t be loved
We at Adoption Choices of Kansas want to put those myths to rest. We want to reassure you that our local adoption agency has a selection of adoptive family candidates who want to love and care for a child as their own. No adoptive family discriminates based on religion, sexual orientation, race, or upbringing. Our local adoption agency has a goal to help you select the best adoptive family that meets your needs and that you can trust.
How to Begin Your Kansas Local Adoption
The first step when starting your interracial adoption is choosing your adoption type. There are three adoption types to choose from
- Open Adoption is when you decide to have a personal relationship with the adoptive family you choose. You can establish different forms of communication through our agency and have it mediated by your adoption specialist. Forms of contact can be in-person visits, phone and video calls, letters and emails, and photographs. You decide all forms of communication and establish when and where they will be done.
- Closed Adoption is when you do not want a personal relationship with your adoptive family or your child. With this option, you just want to make sure that your child will receive love and care. No personal information will be shared. Only your basic information will be shared as well as the adoptive family’s profile.
- Semi-Open Adoption is when you want to have some sort of communication with the adoptive family. However, you don’t want a personal relationship with them. You want to set boundaries when it comes to communication and how often. If you choose to do phone or video calls, send letters, and receive letters, it gets sent through our local agency. Your adoption specialist will mediate any plans of communication.
Unplanned Pregnancy Options
- Financial Assistance can be found through grants and loans. We have payment plan options that you can apply if you are eligible. Our goal is to help lift those finances off your shoulders and help where it’s needed. Having an unplanned pregnancy can bring in expenses that you weren’t ready for. The adoptive family can also contribute to the payments. The possible financial coverage can help with groceries, maternity clothing, rent, transportation, phone bill, and other expenses.
- Housing options are available to you based on any living situation. Whether you have a home or not, or not enough space, or don’t feel safe. Adoption Choices of Kansas can find available homes that you are eligible for during the duration of the pregnancy. Even after the adoption process is complete, you can stay in assisted living until you can get back on your feet, find a new place, or move back into your original home.
- Medical Checkups may be hard to pay for. You may not have a doctor or medical insurance to cover the costs of daily checkups. We want to make sure you get checked out, so you and the baby are in good health. We have lists of doctors that you can trust to help you with your birth plan health.
- You create a birth plan with your doctor. We want to make sure that when it comes to the location, who’s in the delivery room if you want an all-natural birth or c-section if you require pain relief medicine, all these questions are considered and made by you. Your adoption specialist will speak on your behalf. Your doctor will make sure to have all criteria met when it’s time to deliver the child.
- Free Counseling is available as one on one or group sessions. Whichever is more comfortable for you. Adoption Choices of Kansas wants to help provide some sort of closure, a place to work through your emotions, struggles, and other pressing matters that have occurred during and after the adoption. There is no timeline for mental health and wellness. Our counseling program is free and can last as long as you want. Be prepared to tackle any emotions you have been putting aside to focus on the adoption. You will learn acceptance, analyze your emotions and ways to cope, and take time for yourself.
Adoption Choices of Kansas is an agency you can rely on for your interracial adoption. No matter which adoptive family you choose, their goal is to care for a child as if it were their own. We reassure you that all the myths regarding interracial families and adoptions are false. We make sure to follow your decisions, leading to a successful adoption process. Choose interracial adoption as a possible option.
Choosing adoption is not giving up. If you need unplanned pregnancy help now, Adoption Choices of Kansas serves birth parents statewide and beyond. We can help with teen pregnancy, financial assistance, difficult situations, and more. Please call us or text us to learn more! Call Us 877-903-4488 or Text Us 316-209-2071
Meet the Author: Gabrielle Maya is a recent graduate from New Jersey City University, earning her Bachelor of English Creative Writing and Minor in Women’s Gender Studies. She specializes in writing about topics regarding women, pop culture, books, and DIYs. Her blogs and articles have appeared on The Red Eye Media Group, Kiss and Tell Magazine, and Bookstr. She has also written poetry and flash fiction for New Jersey City University’s online Hype Magazine. Gabrielle also has a bookstagram where she posts daily reads. She enjoys streaming her favorite Korean Dramas, Anime. She is a bookworm to the core, reading several titles a week ranging from fantasy, poetry, fiction, and dystopian. She is social media savvy and creates visual content on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. She loves analyzing novels and having open, controversial conversations. Her writing is geared towards women because of her past insecurities with her body and voice. Gabrielle is a quick learner and open to writing any type of content.